Get involved with The Foundation and increase awareness about blindness in developing countries and remember Kiwi humanitarian Fred Hollows. The Foundation has materials for use in social studies classes or you can restore sight by raising funds for the work we do in Papua New Guinea, Timor-Leste, and the Pacific.
Make a spectacle of yourself
Help restore someone's sight in the Pacific and celebrate the life of a great Kiwi by holding a 'Make a Spectacle of Yourself' school's day!
Make a Spectacle of Yourself is all about raising funds, increasing awareness about blindness in developing countries, remembering Kiwi humanitarian Fred Hollows - and HAVING FUN! By getting involved you will be helping keep Fred's dream alive, of a world where no-one is needlessly blind.
Loads of schools have joined in Make a Spectacle of Yourself Day and supported The Foundation's sight restoring work in the Pacific - why don't you give it a go?
Materials for teaching
The Fred Hollows Foundation NZ is excited to offer a Social Studies resource kit for use in primary, intermediate and secondary classrooms.
Called "New Zealanders addressing humanitarian issues in our backyard through the Social Inquiry Framework", it contains a range of activities and materials that consider the medical, environmental and social factors contributing to avoidable blindness around the world. There is a particular focus on the Pacific region and the work of The Fred Hollows Foundation NZ.
The materials can be adapted to suit other disciplines and there are cross curricular opportunities for Health and Science.
“I’d recommend this resource to any Social Studies teacher as it is flexible and designed for teachers to pick and choose the materials and activities that would be suitable for their class."
- Kate Lambert, TIC Social Studies Diocesan School for Girls
Teaching resource kit
This great teaching resource kit contains all you will need to plan and execute many exciting and stimulating lessons that can be adapted and used in primary, intermediate and secondary class rooms.
We will include information on our latest program work too, and can add further material dependent on your school's requirements.
- Concept outline
- Part 1 - Generating questions (zip file 1.9MB)
- Part 2 - Who is affected? (zip file 3.2MB)
- Part 3 - What is blindness? (zip file 15.5MB)
- Part 4 - Poverty and blindness (zip file 18.5MB)
- Part 5 - Fred Hollows and The Foundation (zip file 18.8MB)
- Video clips:
- New Zealand's Top 100 History Makers (Prime television): A two minute program about Fred Hollows
- Cataract surgery: One and a half minutes of silent footage of a cataract being removed from the eye (warning - not for the faint hearted)
- Deonisia receives the Gift of Sight: A moving four minute story about a woman in Fiji who has her sight restored after nine years of blindness- as featured on Campbell Live
- Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like IOL samples (small plastic intraocular lens that replaces the clouded cataract lens and enables the eye to focus)
- Download a template to make your own cataract mask and experience what it is like to be cataract blind!
- Make a Spectacle of Yourself brochure (Fundraising stories and ideas - great for social action)
Make a donation
Call us: 0800 227 229